Wednesday, May 23, 2007

earthed

I just finished my first class at the gym I joined.
Yes, you read right. I joined a g-y-m! WOAH! Never thought that would happen... But, this isn't your standard run of the (tread)mill gym... oh no. Its much much cooler. Because it offers a variety of classes, all sorts, such as Bellydancing, Dancing, NIA, Pilates, Yoga, Skip, Ride, and all sorts of other ones.
So, tonight, I tried out a NIA class. What is NIA you ask? Well it stands for Neuromuscular Integrative Action. Uh-huh. Sounds technical.. but its not. Its a form of expressive dance, an expressive body-mind movement and lifestyle practice, embracing fitness and health.. is how they describe it. Sounds a little intimidating..but its actually really fun. You have steps, but basically anything goes. The music gets you moving, and you just let go... Hah. And its quite surprising at how much it gets you going. And smiling!
So first class is a success!
Tomorrow I have an assessment. Yes, I have to meet with a trainer and they will have a look at my level of fitness and goals etc. The form you fill out at the start, when you join the gym, has a section where you are meant to circle your goals. Things like: increase endurance, increase tone, increase flexibility etc. etc. Well I looked along that list, thought, well yeah, that would be a plus, but they aren't really goals as such. I mainly just want to mix things up a bit. *shrug*
The most difficult thing is choosing which class to do!! Hah. I sat here last night with the timetable planning everything I could do. This class is on at that time, oh but that is when that class is on.. oh, I have to choose one!?! TOO HARD.
Friday, I have decided to try a yoga class.
Monday, I have planned to try out a spin/ride class. Thats the bike class I was really wanting to do. I peaked in through the window tonight as I left my class, they turn the lights out in there, so its nice and dark. They were working pretty hard! Lookin' forward to it actually... Is that insane? haha..

5 comments:

kerstin said...

wow! i'm glad you had fun!
sounds like you definately won't get bored! and that these classes will mean something to you (more than just working out your body) sweet!
you might even make some new friends! :)

Anonymous said...

sounds like fun! good to have something enjoyable to do besides work. congratulations!

Eileen said...

good stuff! that NIA class sounds like fun :) looking forward to hearing how the yoga goes

Anonymous said...

I came from Pure Health Clubs website.

So now you have your own gym do you still go to pure health club?

lisbeth said...

Hahaha, I wish I had my own gym... no I still go to Pure. I did end up trying out that spin/ride class, and its my all-time favourite gym class. I can't get enough of it... heheh